Thursday, December 27, 2007

My first post

This is my first post on this my latest Blog. I have spent a lot of my life observing and studying how children learn language and the role that adults play in supporting them. I have a detailed website which acts as both a personal site as well as a place for academic colleagues to track down some of my books and publications. My insights about literacy and children's learning have been gained from my first career as a primary school teacher (for 10 years), over 30 years of research (some concurrent with my teaching), and my observations as a father and grandfather. This Blog is not really meant for academics and experts, rather it is aimed at parents and beginning teachers. The specific purposes include:

  • offering current posts that raise issues and try to offer insights about literacy, family life and learning;
  • providing access to some useful resources for parents and student teachers;
  • stimulating discussion about literacy, families and children's learning.

The site will evolve over time but I have tried to launch it with a number of posts, some of which are re-worked from posts on other blogs more directly aligned with my current role as Master of New College at the University of New South Wales (Sydney, Australia).

I will look forward to your feedback on the site.

No comments: